Friday 9 April 2010

Week 43: Curiosity.

People have always said that I have had an Achilles heel. I seem to give in to curiosity every single time it crops up. There are certain sayings and idioms which state that curiosity ends up with negative consequences. "Ignorance is bliss" and "Curiosity killed that cat" are constantly nagging at the back of my brain, nibbling at the fleshy nerve endings that satisfy my acquisition of knowledge. Anyway, enough of the fancy embellishments and ridiculous analogies. My argument is against ignorance being bliss, and that curiosity is a good thing.

This past week's experience has led me down a lane where I have been finding out things that are involved in my personal life, things that some people would normally wish that they never knew. Yes there is, at first, a temporary sting and rush of blood that makes me slightly angry, but I learn to put that in the past very quickly. Have you ever seen that scene in Disney's The Lion King? Where Rafiki is talking to Simba about learning from events and then putting them in the past.

He smacks Simba on the head with his staff and then there is this bit of dialogue:

Simba: "Ow! Jeez. What was that for?"
Rafiki: "It doesn't matter! It's in the past."
Simba: "Yeah but it still hurts."
Rafiki: "Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it or learn from it."

This is one of my favourite moments in film history; Rafiki then takes another swing at Simba, and consequently he adapts quickly and dodges it. The point I'm trying to get across goes with the saying "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." Personally I have always found that my curiosity acts as a trigger to gain knowledge and educate myself. It is not a bad thing to satisfy your curiosity. Yes, there may be pain that could stay with you for just a few seconds or for the rest of your life, but you will need to adapt and evolve your reactions sooner or later. Curiosity ends up with positive consequences and as human beings we learn from what we find out.

Hope you enjoyed this weeks post.

Daniel.




This photograph was taken about a year ago, I will let you try and spot why it is related to the subject of "Curiosity". It's quite a broad and open photograph, although it can be seen as referencing social status (which you would be right to assume) but there are many more aspects to it. Curiosity is certainly one of them.

Song listening to right now: Age of Revolution - The Duckworth Lewis Method

No comments:

Post a Comment