Thursday 15 September 2011

Week 116: Putting things into perspective.

Today has made me think about the way I used to be. I've done things in my past that I'm not proud of. I've lied to people I care about, I've been jealous when I shouldn't have, I've said things that are not polite and I've treated people in a manner that was not any where near how I would have liked to be treated myself. This however, was years ago. Recently, I've been a very genuine and honest guy about things. I've shown genuine understanding towards other people's feelings, I've been completely honest and share optimism with everyone I meet. This is mainly down to one person that managed to change the way I live my life, and I don't think they even realised it. I really like the man I have become now. I do not have any sympathy with the man I used to be. I think it's a good thing to admit and confess to the bad things you have done but it's also a virtue to judge someone on the way they are now and not judge them by their past. Show appreciation to those who deserve the truth and you'll be okay.

I have been thinking about all of this recently and I'd just like to point out that the past couple of weeks have put everything into perspective. Things have happened that have made me think that none of that matters compared to what else is going on in the world. For example, witnessing the memorial of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. When you view the emotions of the people who were effected by something as extreme as 9/11, you realise what really matters in life. In New York people come from all walks of life. They may be viewed as good people or bad people, they may have done things that they regret in the past but when something as catastrophic as 9/11 happens, they all manage to come together and help each other out. What I witnessed, was a loving community all coming together to pay their respects, no matter what kind of person they were.

Daniel.




Just have a look at this photograph I took on the 10th anniversary. New York was on lock-down. The Army, the Navy, top police officers, S.W.A.T, F.B.I and The Secret Service, were all scouting the jungle that is Manhattan. Still, throughout all of the formalities and tension, there were numerous locals showing their pride and their respect to all of the U.S citizens lost on that day. It was a beautiful thing to watch and it thoroughly encouraged my optimism for the human race. It put a lot into perspective, I know I haven't been the nicest guy in the past but there is still hope through compassion and love.

Song listening to right now: One - Metallica

No comments:

Post a Comment