Wednesday 31 October 2012

Week 169: Surrounding Space.

There are things I've walked past every day for the past seven months that don't seem to attract my attention any more. However, when I first started working in London I noticed them right away. Certain areas that seemed so alien to me, that now have become my own working and living environment. You know when you visit a place for the first time and then after constant exposure to it, it seems completely different to the first time you were there? I get that a lot with places in London. It's sobering and makes me feel as though I have "collected" these places and they are securely lodged in my subconscious. They are memories and they are also photographs.

I enjoy thinking about this but in a way it does make me sad. It makes me feel that I will never have that initial feeling again, it is not new to me anymore and therefore not as exciting. This can be said for a lot of things in life. On the positive side of things, I know it will always be there and I understand it well. I am used to it and I have this mutual understanding with the space. It helps me find my way because it is part of a journey that I know all too well. Consequently this is very comparable to certain people in my life.

Thanks.
Dan.














There's much of London I have left to explore, I am interested in the pretty places but I'm more obsessed with the gritty, formal and mediocre. It is something that most people don't notice. I search for it.

Song listening to right now: Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits

No comments:

Post a Comment