Wednesday 2 September 2009

Week 13: Pensive.

So last week's post was about me being content with my own lifestyle. This week I have been in deep thought about my final destination (no pun intended to the film, I've never seen any of them) in life. People make decisions for a reason, but they also choose the reason why they make the decisions. I have ended up where I am now due a technical web-like construction of options. My perception of other people's options has also been blurred by my own ignorance and selfish desires. There are certain people I have lost faith in and there are certain people that I have gained faith in, all in the space of one week. This has probably been (quite subtly) one of the most influential weeks of my life. I have sat down and contemplated all the larger choices I have made over the past year, some were definitely wrong and some were obviously right. A subconscious choice brought me to the exact point where I may have totally failed my course at university, but I chose to put that aside and march on. I am glad I did this, and I am glad that I have noticed this.

Thank you for reading.

Dan.

mediumformatedit.jpg

The Arboretum in Nottingham was pretty empty when I took this photograph on the university's Hasselblad 500. I used an Ilford Delta 400 roll of film and this was actually one of the first Black and White medium format shoots I had ever taken. This man didn't really talk to me much but he did tell me his name and where he was born. I will keep these details to myself as I will feel a sense guilt if I exploit him on the internet. He also said that he could sit by the bird cages all day, thinking about his life so far and just watch the world go by. I didn't question him much (unlike the other people I have captured). I think maybe his pensiveness made me rather nervous, maybe he was judging me or maybe he was just thinking "Why would you even take a picture of me?." Either way I will never know, but I'm glad I took this photograph of him. It conveys deep thought and seems timeless to me. If you would like to see more images from this shoot, please have a look at my Facebook page that is linked at the top of this blog.

Song listening to right now: These Eyes - The Guess Who

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic image. His posture and his gaze are captivating. Well done.

    ReplyDelete