Saturday 29 September 2012

Week 165: Climbing.

I get thinking about certain things regarding which actions I decide to make. My trails of thought run parallel to the paths that I decide to physically take. Just the other day I was at Liverpool Street tube station. It's one of those underground stations that have the huge escalators. You know that feeling when you walk into a room looking for your keys, but you forget what you're doing and you're just stood there for about five minutes staring into space? Well, I had that feeling but I couldn't remember which change I had to make at Liverpool Street. I couldn't remember whether I was getting on the Central Line or the Hammersmith & City. So I was stood there at the bottom of this escalator wondering which way to go. Finally it hit me, I had to go up the enormous escalator that was looming dead ahead of me.

I stepped onto the escalator and stood to the right hand side (which you MUST abide by in London or the people on the left will mow you down as they ascend). So I was stood to the right hand side pretty idle, then for no reason what so ever my subconscious decided I should be climbing this moving staircase. I'm  normally quite cynical when it comes to walking up escalators as it kind of defeats the point unless I'm in an absolute rush. However, this time I wasn't in a rush at all, in fact I had plenty of time to kill. I couldn't explain it, I was climbing past people at a pretty steady rate and it was only about half way when I actually realised what I was doing. I wanted to climb up, whilst everyone who was stood still seemed to be stuck in a routine, just waiting, depending on something else to lift them to the top. I decided I wanted to climb to the top myself with just a little help from the thing they were solely depending on. This might sound like a load of nonsense and stop reading it if is boring you, but I honestly didn't realise any of this until I was almost at the top. Once I reached the top, I knew that the reason I climbed that escalator wasn't because I was in a rush, it was because I wanted to ascend past the dull life of waiting, sticking to routine, depending on a third party to get me to my goal. I wanted to make it to the top myself. Since this was all done subliminally and only realised at the end of my journey, I think that says a lot about my mindset in comparison to a lot of other people I know. It may sound arrogant, but I know a lot of people with the same mindset as me too. However, we all know people who rely on others to get where they want to be and we all know people who will stay in their daily routine waiting for someone else to lift them up. When in reality nobody can help them reach their goal apart from themselves.

Dan.













A few guys I know who have all been in pretty established bands and are now working together on various projects. I took this a while back. They will always be climbing the music industry ladder. 

Song listening to right now: Draining What Remains - Viatrophy

No comments:

Post a Comment